Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gluten Free Baking

Before I write this post, please note that it is not my intent to write a baking blog. I want to write about all kinds of womanly stuff, but apparently baking is the most common womanly thing that I do, which may explain my pant size.
One of my womanly knitting friends has Celiac Disease.  Every week, I lay out a tempting spread of baked goods, and she has to decide whether to cave in and hurt her body or to stay strong and resist.  Last Sunday, I decided it wasn't very womanly to keep tormenting her, and looked up a recipe for my first ever attempt at gluten free baking.

I found this recipe on Epicurious, which looked easy, had good reviews and only called for ingredients I had on hand, and I gave it a go.  I melted the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, which I always love to use because they make me feel like a real pastry chef!

Then I mixed it all together. In less than 15 minutes, it was ready for the oven.
Look how fast I stirred!  It's like a whirlwind!

And it came out......really average.  The flavor was rich and chocolatey, but the texture was not great.  In fact, it was dry and crumbly.  The moral of this story is that either I can't bake or 250 epicurious readers can be wrong.  Don't worry though, we ate it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I LOVE comments!