Thursday, February 11, 2010

Closed Minded?

I have several things to clear up before I officially begin this post:
1) No, I have not cleaned my room yet.  The shame that comes from having posted a disgusting picture of my room online has apparently not given me enough motivation.  Maybe the shame of having to admit that I haven't cleaned my room despite the shame of posting a picture of it on my blog will be enough.  Maybe...
2) I did not finish Adam's scarf in time for his birthday.  Oh well, there's always his 20th birthday, and since he did not give me a Christmas or birthday present this year, I don't feel too bad.
3) All of my cleaning and blogging time lately has been gobbled up by my new obsession, Doctor Who. A boy in my Sunday School class told me that I would love it and probably should put a David Tennant poster up on my wall.  I do love the show, but I'm not quite ready for David's poster. His eyes are too intense, a little like a crazy person. I did have a Doctor Who dream last night though.

Now, on to the main event!

In the 21st century, we have access to an incredible amount of information.  A reasonable person might think that this would make people more well rounded and better informed.  According to a story I heard on NPR, this just isn't true.  Instead of seeking out information from a wide variety of sources, people mostly read stuff written by people who think like them.  So their oppinions are enforced and the other guys look like idiots.  When I heard this, I shook my head with all the moral superiority I could muster.  "Oh, you people," I thought. "You're so closed minded.  Why don't you try listening to someone different from you."  Of course, I knew I was different.  I'm all about dialogue and I'm totally interested in the opinions of people who are different from me.  Right?
Not so much.
A quick glance at my Google Reader shows that I almost exclusively follow mommy blogs and craft blogs that lean toward the rural side. Pretty much, I read stuff from the women I hope to be. 
My biggest blog-crush is totally the Pioneer Woman (of course who isn't just a little bit in love with her?).  Her photography and sassy writing make me want to move to Northern Oklahoma.
If Oklahoma doesn't work out, I've got a back up plan, Montana.  I recently fell in love with Teresa at Meadowbrook Farm.  Teresa, can I PLEASE just move into your house?
The one, redeeming blog I follow from the person who thinks the least like me has got to be the Sartorialist.  He's a fashionista, who has taught me that you can pretty much wear whatever you want, as long as you have the appropriate attitude.
So, maybe I am a little closed minded.  I mostly like to read stuff that agrees with me.  I guess that's okay, as long as I keep in mind that other opinions do exist and they are often intelligent and well thought out.  At least now, the morally superior look has been wiped off my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I LOVE comments!