Friday, February 19, 2010

Womanly Baking Success!

My knitting group was over the other night and I decided to make up for the burnt cookie incident with these beauties from my blog-crush, Pioneer Woman's site.  Because I'm a rebel who can't be bothered to follow recipes to the letter, I made them sans nuts, undercooked them a little and obviously cut them while they were still warm - I just couldn't wait.  It's a pretty simple, straight forward recipe and I thought they would be a breeze, but I did run into a minor baking catastrophe.
The recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups of brown sugar, but despite checking my supplies and heading to the grocery store before I started baking, I only had 1 1/4 cups. By the time I realized this, I was already committed, so I decided to improvise. I know that white sugar = brown sugar - molasses, so I figured I could just add some molasses to some white sugar and it would work out. Hopefully...

Surprisingly, it worked great!  The brownies were moist and delicious and my sweet knitting group with 5 ladies ate half the pan in less than three hours.  To equal 1 cup of brown sugar, I used about 7/8 cup white sugar and 1/8 cup molasses.  In the future, I may use a little less of each, but the important part is that I achieved womanly success!  Aren't you proud of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I LOVE comments!